In the name of Allah
The All Compassionate, the All Merciful
17th Shabaan 1444 (10 th March 2023)
Islamic Universal Association
20 Penzance Place, Holland Park
London, W11 4 PG
Jihad An-Nafs – Part 121
Purification of the heart-Part 63
As reflected in numerous Ayahs of the Holy Quran, the events of resurrection are initially accompanied by great and shocking happenings. Likewise, Surah Al-Waqiah at the outset also focuses on events preceding the Day of Resurrection which are shocking and awakening.
“When the momentous event takes place,
No belying shall be for its happening.
When the earth is shaken with a tremendous shaking
And they shall become scattered dust,
And you shall be 3 kinds.”
Some scholars maintain that resurrection shall be so crystal clear that it will leave no room for denial and discussion. On that Day man will be held responsible for his actions and deeds on earth and he will have to bear their consequences. Majma Al-Bayan V: 9 p: 214, provides:
- According to Ayah 3 of the said Surah, resurrection will lower some people and elevate some others. Those who were mighty on earth may be humiliated and the weak may be elevated,
- The arrogant, the disobedient and the wrong-doers will be abased whereas the believers and righteous will be elevated to the zenith of glory.
- Some people will fall into the depth of hell and others will abide in the most exalted levels of paradise. These are consequences of divine encompassing revolution.
- Enemies of Allah (s.w.t.) will be cast into the hellfire and the friends of Allah (s.w.t) will be elevated to the higher levels of paradise.
- Honor and humility, exaltation and lower ranks will become apparent on that Day as true poverty and affluence will be manifest upon being presented with the record of deeds before Allah (s.w.t.). In the Nahjul Balagha, Short Saying 452, Imam Ali (a.s.) has said: “Riches and destitution will follow presentation before Allah.”
Birth anniversary of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f) part: 2
In continuation of last week’s discussion, I would like add that the occultation of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.) is divided into two parts. The first was the minor occultation (ghaybate sughra) which began in 260 Hijri and ended in 329 Hijri, lasting for 69 years. The Imam used to communicate to the people through his special deputy, Uthman ibne Saeed, one of the companions of his father and grandfather, who was his trusted friend. Through his deputy he would answer the demands and questions of the Shiites. After Uthman ibne Saeed, his son, Muhammad ibne Uthman was appointed as the Imam’s deputy. After the death of Muhammad ibne Uthman, Abul Qasim Hussain ibne Ruh Nawbakhti stepped into his shoes, and after his death Ali ibne Muhammad Simmari was chosen for this task.
Six days before the death of Ali ibne Muhammad Simmari in 329 Hijri an order was issued by Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.) stating that Ali ibne Muhammad Simmari would soon die and his special deputation would come to an end. The major occultation (ghaybate kubra) will thereafter begin and will continue until Allah (s.w.t.) will grant him permission to manifest himself as provided in the Holy Quran and the traditions.
Ayah 55 of Surah An-Nur, which creates optimism for the believers, provide as follows:
“God has promised those of you who believe and do good deeds that He will certainly appoint them successors on earth, just as He appointed those before them, and that He will certainly establish their religion (Islam) for them, and that He will certainly exchange thereafter their fear for security. They shall worship Me, and associate none with Me, and whoever disbelieves after this are surely the wicked ones.”
The salient features of the Ayah are outlined below:
1- The Ayah clearly declares Allah (s.w.t.)’s promise to the believers who perform righteous deeds.
2- The promise of Allah (s.w.t.) is for the believers only, who will be appointed as successors on earth. He will give them power and authority and make them rulers in the like manner as it was done in the past.
3- They will rule the entire world and the constitution of this government will be based on Islamic law as provided in the Holy Quran and the Sunnah.
4- Security and peace will be restored in the entire world and terror oppression and anarchy will be eliminated.
5- Irreligious and profane beliefs will give way to the principles of Islam, the true religion and monotheist concept of worshipping Allah (s.w.t) will spread far and wide. 6- Allah (s.w.t.)’s promise is always trueand His clear signs will soon be made evident to everyone. (Majma al-Bayan V: 7 P: 152)