In the name of Allah
The All Compassionate, the All Merciful
18th Rabial-Thani 1445 (3rd November 2023)
Islamic Universal Association
20 Penzance Place, Holland Park
London, W11 4 PG
Jihad An-Nafs – Part 156
Purification of the heart-Part 98
In connection with my previous discussion, I quote below some important traditions regarding of friendship:
1-The Holy Prophet (s.a.) has said: that a person is known by the company he keeps. If he has a good relationship with people with strong faith in Allah (s.w.t.) and in Islamic principles, he will be considered a good person and a believer. On the other hand, if he associates with sinners, he will be considered a sinner as well.
2–Similarly, Imam Ali (a.s.) has advised: that friendship with evil and wicked people will have a bad influence on you and accordingly you will be judged like them whereas if you have a strong bond with righteous people, you will be virtuous like them. That is why it is imperative to seek friendship with good and God-fearing people and if you are not sure about their morality, then you should check out their friends, because the Holy Prophet (s.a) has said: If a person believes in Allah and the day of resurrection he will not associate with disbelievers or sinners. However, those who maintain friendship with sinners and disbelievers will become a disbeliever.”
Solaima ibne Jafar heard from his father that Imam Musa ibne Jafar (a.s.) asked him why he visits Abdul-Rahman as he is indulging in profanity and uses blasphemous language against Allah (s.w.t.). He should therefore choose between him and Abdul-Rahman. The Imam further advised his father that by keeping Abdul-Rahman’s company, he will be punished by Allah (s.w.t.) as well. The Imam then referred to one of the good companions of Musa whose father was a follower of Firun and yet he could not save himself and punishment engulfed both him and his father (R: Safinat Al-Bihar V:1 P 166)
To be continued.
Death anniversary of Fatima Masoomeh (a.s.) – Part 2
Scholars have held Fatima Masoomeh (a.s.) in high esteem which clearly portrays her great personality. Hence, in order to know her, one should study the dimensions of her characteristics. According to many traditionalist and historians she had attained a high degree of chastity and piety early in life. Moreover, she had a special gift of knowledge and spiritual awareness even in her childhood which had been testified by Imam Sadeq, Imam Reza and Imam Jawad (a.s.).
The following traditions have been reported in Safina Al-Bihar Vol: 2, Page 376, which demonstrate the importance of visiting her mausoleum in Qom:
- Imam Sadeq (a.s.) has said:
- “Verily a sanctified place of Allah is located in Mecca, the Holy Prophet’s blessed place is located in Medina and Amirul Momineen’s revered site is in Kufa. Qom is a mini Kufa; heaven has eight gates, three of which are located towards this city. A lady from my descendant, Fatima, the daughter of Musa Ibne Jafar, will die in this city and her shrine will be located there. Her status and position will be such that she will have the power to intercede for our followers on the Day of Judgement.”
- Imam Reza (a.s.) advised one of his followers, who came to see him after he had visited Qom:
- “Those who visit Fatima’s grave and acknowledge her status deserve to go to heaven.”
- Imam Jawad (a.s.) has said:
- “Whosoever visits the grave of my aunt, Fatima Masoumeh, being fully aware of her status, deserves a special place in paradise.”
There are several Hadiths and advice of Imam Reza (a.s.) about his sister and on one occasion he has also said:
“Whoever visits my sister, Masoumeh’s mausoleum in Qom will be considered as though he or she has visited me.” In other words, the rewards and benefits awarded to a pilgrim are the same whether he performs the pilgrimage of Fatima Masoumeh or Imam Reza (a.s.).
Imam Sadeq (a.s.) has also advised:
“A lady from my progeny, by the name of Fatima, will be buried in Qom. Whoever visits her shrine will indeed enter heaven.” This narration illustrates the high status of this noble lady, because those who visit her tomb will be awarded a place in heaven.