In the name of Allah
The All Compassionate, the All Merciful
16th Rabial-Thani 1444 (11th November 2022)
Islamic Universal Association
20 Penzance Place, Holland Park
London, W11 4 PG
Jihad An-Nafs – Part 105
Purification of the heart-Part 47
In the Holy Quran there are hundreds of Ayahs on the world after death, such as, the Day of Resurrection or Qiyamah, the scales of judgement and evaluation, records of deeds, heaven and hell, eternal life or the hereafter and other relevant issues.
However, there are several expressions in the Holy Quran relating to the Day of Resurrection, each of which is a gate of knowledge. According to some scholars there are about 70 different expressions therein whereas some are of the view that there are about 40 such Ayahs. Before I discuss this at a great length, 1 quote below Ayahs 1-14 of Surah Al Qiyamah:
“In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
Nay! I swear by the Day of Resurrection!
Nay! I swear by the self-reproaching self (a believer).
Does man think that We will never reassemble his bones?
Yes! We can put his fingertips together in perfect order.
Nay! Man wills but to do evil before him.
He asks: “When is this Day of Resurrection to come?”
So, when the eye is confounded,
And the moon is darkened,
And the sun and moon are brought together,
Man shall cry that Day: “is there anywhere to flee?”
By no means! No refuge there shall ever be!
Unto your Lord alone shall be the place of final abode!
Man shall be informed on that Day of whatsoever he put behind.
Nay! Man will bear witness against even his own self!”
- Allah (s.w.t.) swears by the Day of Resurrection (Al-Qiyamah) and the self-reproaching self, to stress that He shall certainly resurrect man after death and He has full power to do so.
- He shall recreate man precisely as He created him first. The disbelievers who denied it said how was it possible that bodies of people who died hundreds of years ago could be reassembled as they once were? Their bodies have disintegrated and mixed in the dust, their bones have decayed and are scattered away by the winds, some of whom are burnt to ashes, others devoured by the beasts of prey, still others drowned in the seas and swallowed by fishes. Ayah 3 replied to this in the form of a question: “Does man think that We will never reassemble his bones?”
- Due to the terror of that Day, the disbelievers will not be able to focus on anything and in fact they will be amazed to see what they had denied.
- The moon shall be darkened and the sun and moon shall be enfolded and rolled up together on that Day.
- There is no escape or refuge for the disbelievers once the hour comes
- To Allah (s.w.t.) alone is the final end and moreover on that Day is the final destination of every soul.
- Man shall be informed on that Day about the provisions he brought forth and what he left behind.
- He shall indeed testify against his own self.
Death anniversary of Fatima Masoomah (a.s.)
The 10th of Rabial-Thani was the death anniversary of Fatimah Masoomah (a.s.), the honorable daughter of Imam Musa Kazim (a.s) and the sister of Imam Reza (a.s.). Whilst expressing my condolence to Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.) and the followers of the Ahlul Bait, I invoke Allah (s.w.t) to protect us from the clutches of Satan.
There are three different ways one can understand the personality of a person; firstly by studying his or her life, secondly by understanding his or her thoughts, sayings, deeds and manners, and finally by examining the analysis of scholars. Today I will try to analyze why Fatima Masoomah (a.s.) had attained such a high position in her short life. Fatima Masoomah (a.s) was born in the first of the month of Dil-alghadaa in Medina in 173 Hijri. She was greatly revered by the holy Imams and among the children of Imam Musa Kazim (a.s.) she had a special position after Imam Reza (a.s.). She was trained and brought up in the best environment where she gained immense knowledge under the guidance of her father, pious mother and brother. She lived during the era of the three Imams of the Ahlul Bait, namely, her father Imam Musa Kazim (a.s.), her brother Imam Reza (a.s) and her nephew Imam Jawad (a.s.) which helped to shape her honorable character. Due to her piety, modesty, faith, virtuousness and training she was given the title of ‘Masoomah’ meaning ‘infallible’ by her brother, Imam Reza (a.s.), and because of her worship and abstemiousness she acquired the status of intercession. She reached the highest level of faith due to her obedience and servitude to Allah (s.w.t.) and by stringently following the teachings of the Holy Quran. She was a complete role model and her life shows how one should submit to Allah (s.w.t.)’s will and to obey the Imam of the time. Inshallah in my forthcoming session I will discuss her power of intercession and the reward for visiting her mausoleum in Qom.